INTRODUCTION TO GEL PLATE MONO-PRINTING - 2 week course
Dates: Tues 4th Feb and Tues 11th Feb
Times : 8pm to 10pm
Location: ARTSTART basement rooms of 98 High Street Lewes, entrance on Keere Street
Cost: £80 per person all materials included
About mono-printing from a Gel Plate
Gelli plates are a versatile method of mono-printing without a press using a reusable soft printing plate. The flexible plate once inked, holds textures really well, it’s great for making prints from plants and leaves as
detailed textures can be replicated easily into a design by simply pressing them into the ink on the plate. Or building up designs with stencils/masks or fabrics and overlaying colour to create beautiful patterns. It’s really easy to make lovely one-off beautiful images with atmospheric textural qualities.
What you'll learn
You will be shown many examples of the wide ranging possibilities of Gel plate mono printing
before starting your own exploration. All techniques will be fully demonstrated and you will be encouraged to follow the tutor step by step, so you feel confident to produce your own work at the end of it.
You'll understand what paint works best for the methods, how to ink up and print with a Gel Plate, how to plan for your layered printing. And how to create layered prints using drawing methods and transferred magazine images as part of the overall composition. It is a relatively simple technique to pick up and can easily be continued at home if you love it like us!
• Beginners and/or those wishing to refresh their skills.
• Explanation of Gelli Plate monoprinting and looking at examples.
• Introduction to equipment and techniques.
• An explanation and recipe for making your own gel plate.
• Use of rollers and paints and how to ink up your plate.
• Using masking and over-printing create layered monoprints.
• How to use and transfer magazine images within your gelli prints.
• Use painted papers to print with and make abstract collages.